Entertainment

BTS producer Bang Si-hyuk named executive producer of K-pop reality TV

May 19, 2020

Seoul (South Korea), May 19: Bang Si-hyuk, the chief producer for K-pop sensation BTS, will serve as executive producer in the upcoming reality TV show "I-Land," his company, Big Hit Entertainment, announced Tuesday.
The new show airs on cable music network Mnet starting June 26.
Bang will play a key role in unearthing and discovering fresh idol hopefuls and developing them into K-pop stars, the company said.
The reality show is the first joint project between Mnet and Big Hit after the two established a joint venture, Belif Lab, in March of last year.
The TV program will combine the K-pop-focused production expertise of Mnet with the music producing experience of Big Hit and feature tales of competition and partnership among K-pop star wannabes, according to Mnet.
In January, Bang was included in the 2020 Billboard Power List, joining the likes of Universal Music Group Chairman Lucian Grainge, Sony Music Group Chairman Rob Stringer and Spotify founder Daniel Ek.
Source: Yonhap News Agency
74
World
Revised laws take effect to punish even possessors of illegal sexual videos
South Korea, Revised laws, Take effect, To punish, Possessors, Illegal sexual videos
Representative Image
74Digital_Crime_May19.jpg
Seoul (South Korea), May 19: Starting Tuesday, anybody caught possessing or watching illegally filmed sexual videos could face up to three years in prison under revised laws on the aggravated punishment of digital sex crimes, government officials said.
The government promulgated the revisions of the Criminal Act, the Act on Special Cases Concerning the Punishment, etc, of Sexual Crimes, and the Act on Regulation and Punishment of Criminal Proceeds Concealment, which passed the National Assembly late last month, saying they will immediately take effect.
The latest legal revisions came as the nation has recently been shocked by a string of sexual exploitation cases centered on group chatrooms of the Telegram messenger service.
Under the new laws, people who possess, buy, store or watch illegally filmed obscene materials could face up to three years in prison or a fine of up to 30 million won (US$24,490).
Previously, the possession of illegally filmed sexual footage was not punishable. Only those caught possessing child and youth sexual abuse materials were subject to criminal punishment.
The statutory punishment for the act of producing and distributing sexual abuse materials will rise from imprisonment of up to five years or a fine of up to 30 million won to a prison term of up to seven years or a maximum fine of 50 million won.
Unpermitted distribution of sexual materials produced by abuse victims will also be punishable. The act of threatening and blackmailing with videos of a sexual nature will be punished with prison sentences of up to one and three years, respectively.
The revised Criminal Act also raised the age of sexual consent from the previous 13 to 16. Therefore, anybody caught having sex with minors under 16 will be charged with rape, regardless of consent. When the victim is aged between 13 and 16, only perpetrators aged 19 and over will be punished.
The statutory punishment for sex crimes against minors under the age of 13 will also be strengthened. Indecent assaults on children under 13 will be punished only with more than five years in prison. The statute of limitations for statutory rape and indecent assaults will be abolished from Nov. 20.
The revised laws also stipulate a criminal confiscation system in which all proceeds from illegally filmed and manipulated videos are seized.
Source: Yonhap News Agency

More news

Afghanistan Faces COVID-19 'Humanitarian Disaster': IRC

Kabul (Afghanistan) June 2: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) on Monday has warned that Afghanistan faces a "humanitarian disaster" as COVID-19 spreads in the country and confirmed cases have risen by 684% in May.

Jun 02, 2020